Darien encompasses 12.9 square miles with many miles of shoreline on Long Island Sound. Originally settled in 1641 as part of Stamford, the area we know as Darien became Middlesex Parish in 1737. In 1820, residents petitioned the state legislature to establish Darien as a separate town. In the early years, Darien’s businesses were primarily located at Ring’s End Landing on Goodwives River and Loading Rock on Five Mile River. Today, several convenient shopping areas include Goodwives Shopping Plaza, stores along the Post, Tokeneke, Heights Roads, plus Noroton Heights Shopping Center.